Join an intimate wildlife viewing safari aboard a deluxe expedition vessel, in search of whales, harbor seals, porpoise, bears and eagles as you explore wilderness passages and rugged coastlines. Then, step ashore on a remote beach with Alaska Native camp hosts to learn intertidal harvesting techniques and enjoy Alaskan cuisine alongside a crackling beach bonfire.
FULL DESCRIPTIONFull Description:
On this one-of-a-kind wildlife safari, your knowledgeable Captain will use his understanding of tides, weather and seasonal evolutions to design an expedition uniquely suited to the day. Humpback and orca whales, Dall’s porpoise, harbor seals and bears are a few of the species that thrive in this pristine environment. As animals are sighted, the Captain will maneuver the vessel to provide optimal views, and your expert Naturalist will explain their fascinating life-cycles and behaviors.
Take a leisurely break from cruising to step ashore on remote Annette Island, welcomed by a greeting from your Tsimshian Alaska Native hosts: “La Gwelga Lak!” (The Fire Has Been Lit!). This gentle bay area, with a sloping beach fringed with lush vegetation, presents stunning views of the surrounding islands. Here, you have will have the opportunity to explore the old-growth rainforest, learn about the intertidal zone and traditional harvesting techniques, and enjoy an Alaska-style beach bonfire.
While your camp hosts tend the fire, you can indulge your adventurer’s appetite with a scrumptious feast that includes reindeer sausage hotdogs, kettle chips, salmonberry jam and other local delights, while sipping on an Alaskan Amber Beer, or your choice of wine, soda or juice. Finish your meal with an American classic: roasting marshmallows for S’mores made with locally-crafted chocolate.
Back aboard the vessel, you’ll continue exploring the coastline and scanning the water for signs of wildlife while enjoying complimentary coffee, tea and hot chocolate. You may also wish to purchase locally-harvested items such as smoked salmon, devil’s club tea, pickled bull kelp and salmon jerky.
Wildlife Safari & Beach Bonfire Gallery
- Port: Ketchikan
- Duration: 3.5 Hours (2.0-2.5 hr cruise, 1.0-1.5 hr ashore)
- Provided: Rain poncho, binoculars, a variety of snacks and beverages
- Accessibility: This tour is not appropriate for individuals who have difficulty walking. Participants must be in good health, at least 5 years of age, and able to disembark onto the beach via a 5-rung ladder.
- Unparalleled access to remote Alaska! Cruise by expedition vessel through beautiful passages that are home to an abundance of wildlife.
- Step ashore on a remote wilderness island to enjoy every day Alaskan cuisine alongside a beach bonfire, the way the locals do it!
- Experience true Alaska – explore old growth rainforest, discover life in the intertidal zone and learn traditional native harvesting techniques.
Wear sturdy footgear, and dress warmly in layers, as this tour operates in all weather conditions. Wildlife sightings are frequent but not guaranteed.
This tour is available as a boutique-quality, small group adventure to guests of all Holland America and Princess Cruises ships.